Friday, October 3, 2008

Dukem - 1100 Maryland Avenue, Baltimore

The Wife and I are creatures of habit. We like things to be done in certain ways. This often leads us to have little arguments. The other week it was about my laundry. The Wife had graciously put my clothes in the wash. But instead of checking the pockets of my jeans, she just threw them in the washing machine. With my passport.

Now, that would have been fine if the passport wasn't just a few weeks old, and I was travelling to Europe two weeks later. To put it mildly we had a little argument about the best way to wash our clothes. I like to throw my clothes in the basket, and then check everything before being washed. She puts clothes in the basket and then throws them in the machine. No checking. Needless to say, I now have a separate laundry basket, and I am responsible for my own washing.

This can be extended to any number of daily tasks in our house. Washing the dishes, cooking, cleaning. We both have our different ways of doing things.

One habit we both share is enjoying the great tasting food at Dukem Ethiopian restaurant. The Wife especially like Dukem, I have the feeling she would go every week if I let her. We did go every week for about five weeks once. Often, eating the same meal. It is that good.

The restaurant has been open for quite a while, they offer authentic Ethiopian cuisine. Thankfully there isn't anything American-ized on the menu. They have a lot of Ethiopians who eat there regularly. A sure sign they know how to cook proper Ethiopian food.

There's not much to look at inside. The restaurant is pretty basic and laid back. No need to get dressed here. The waitresses are very friendly and efficient. Upstairs is quiet, downstairs can get a bit drafty with the busy door opening and closing often. 

The Wife usually has a glass of Chardonnay, and I have the Harar lager. Both are excellent. Even the Wife who detests beer, likes Harar. 

As I mentioned, we have our favourites we stick to. The Dukem Special Lamb Tibs and Dukem Special Veggie Combo (3).  Don't have the fish, that is Dukem's only weak spot. The wife is an Island girl and knows a thing or two about good fish.

The lamb tibs are definitely tastier than the beef ones. I have heard other customers ask to have the jalapenos removed from the tibs. Don't do that. Have them as they come, as the chef intended. You use an Ethiopian bread called Injera to pick up the food. Injera is also spread underneath the food. It sits there absorbing the tasty juices, waiting for you to eat enough to get access to all the sauce.

This is a great social place, also very romantic to be eating with your hands. Become a creature of habit like The Wife and I, visit Dukem regularly.

Grab lots of injera, be brave, dig in and enjoy.

The Wife's Rating
*****

My Rating
****

* Dukem Schmukem
** Injured Injera
*** Say Wat?
**** Sweet Nectar
***** Fit for the Queen of Sheba

Dukem on Urbanspoon

No comments: